University of Leeds, Schools of Languages, Cultures & Societies / Earth & Environment (Leeds, UK)
PhD, East Asian Studies & Sustainability Research, September 2020
- Thesis: The International Political Economy of Electricity Markets: Cross-Border Electricity Trade & Interconnections in East Asia
- Fully funded: Leeds International Research Scholarship; Additional grants: EnergyLeeds Travel Grant, East Asian Studies Travel Funding, Postgraduate Experience Award, Leeds Postgraduate Event Award.
Tsinghua University, School of Public Policy and Management (Beijing, China)
Master’s Degree, International Development & Public Policy, June 2010, GRADE: 1ST
- Thesis: Green Security: Energy Security & Regional Cooperation in East Asia
- Honours: Graduated in top 10% of Class; Achieved top 5% ranking in Thesis Defence
Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy, Baku Energy School (Baku, Azerbaijan)
Professional Certificate Programme: Energy Policy Practicum, 2010
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (California, USA)
Professional Certificate Programme: Development Project Management Institute, January 2010
Pacific University (Oregon, USA)
Bachelor of Arts, Major in Politics & Government, Minor in Chinese Language, May 2008, GRADE: 2:1
- Dissertation: The Globalization of Information Technology: The Information Age & Sino-USA Relations
- Honours: Cum Laude (Top 10% of Class), Dean’s List (2005-2008), Rhodes Scholarship nominee (2008)
· Richardson-Barlow, C. 2021. Methodological & Theoretical Challenges in Cross-Disciplinary Asian Studies Research. Critical Asian Studies. Submitted for publication.
· Gibbs, D., Richardson-Barlow, C., Velenturf, A. 2021. Citizen Participation for a Sustainable Circular Economy. Article in review.
· Richardson-Barlow, C., Pimm, A., Gale, W. and Taylor, P. 2021. International Comparisons in Policy and Pricing Barriers to Steel Industry Decarbonisation. Article in review.
· Richardson-Barlow, C. (contributor) in: REN21. 2019. Asia Renewable Energy Status Report. Paris: REN21.
· Richardson-Barlow, C. (contributor) in: REN21. 2019. Renewable Energy Global Status Report. Paris: REN21.
· Silitonga, R.J.P., Richardson-Barlow, C. 2018. Trading Renewable Energy through the ASEAN Power Grid: Prospects and Challenges. Jakarta: ASEAN Centre for Energy.
· Millison, D., Richardson-Barlow, C. 2018. Gigatech Solutions for Gigaton Problems: Water-Based Solar Energy. Manila: The Asian Development Bank.
· Dent, C., Richardson-Barlow, C. 2016. Trade in Clean Energy: Bridging the Governance Gap. Trade, Energy, & Economic Affairs. Washington, DC: NBR.
· Richardson-Barlow, C. 2015. Changes to the Global Energy Landscape: Coal Use, Technology Development & USA-China Leadership. The China Institute for International Studies (CIIS) Young Scholars Series. Chengdu: CIIS.
· Savoy, C., Richardson-Barlow, C. Procurement: Procurement System Modernizations. In: Miller, S., Runde, D.F. 2014. A New Development Agenda: Trade, Development, and Procurement. Washington, DC: CSIS.
· Chow, E., Richardson-Barlow, C., eds. 2013. China Energy Focus: Natural Gas 2013. Beijing, China: China Energy Fund Committee.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: RESEARCH (select)
The University of Leeds (Leeds, UK)
Researcher Fellow, Centre for Research into Energy Demand Solutions, February 2021-December 2021
· Conduct desk and stakeholder research on policies for decarbonisation of the UK’s steel industry. Work on independent and co-published academic articles and policy outputs in line with the UK’s Net Zero targets.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Leeds Arts & Humanities Research Institute (LAHRI), January 2021-May 2021
· Fellowship offers support for publication of material related to the PhD thesis. The pending article on the methodological and theoretical challenges of cross-disciplinary research has been submitted for publication.
Researcher Fellow, Yorkshire Circular Economy Living Lab, January 2021-March 2021
· Conduct desk and stakeholder research on local government’s circular economy strategies and policies; Co-publish pending journal article on circular economy living labs and green regional community initiatives.
Research Fellow, EnergyLeeds, December 2020-February 2021
· Develop and deliver policy brief on the University of Leeds’ research community and contribution to the UK’s green recovery and energy transition. Includes conducting interviews and desk research.
The National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR) (Washington, DC)
Non-Resident Fellow, Trade, Economic, & Energy Affairs, July 2018-present
· Provide research, analysis and commentary on trade, economic & energy affairs throughout the Asia-Pacific.
Assistant Director, Trade, Economic, and Energy Affairs, July 2013-August 2015
· Lead research, publications, and activities for a range of initiatives in NBR’s trade, economic and energy portfolio. Identify, deliver and manage grants and private funding of over $2 million in 2 years. Primary point of contact for active projects; management of global network of 3,000 authors & contributors; manage $1 million+ in event-specific funding aimed at bridging the academia-policy divide.
Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC)
Research Associate & Programme Manager, Scholl Chair in International Business, July 2010 –July 2013
· Management of research programme focusing on issues of importance to international trade and business. All aspects of project management including: fundraising, proposals, policy reports. Contributed original research to over 15 reports on topics spanning national and international energy and trade issues.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: TEACHING (select)
The University of Leeds (Leeds, UK)
Instructor, East Asian Studies, Sept. 2017-Present
· Instructor, East Asia’s Regional Political Economy and Southeast Asia in its Global Context; Co-Instructor, China and the Developing World and Topics in Asia-Pacific Studies.
Supervisor, Asia-Pacific Studies, December 2020-Present
· Supervisor for undergraduate Final Year Projects, providing mentorship and marking of student projects.
Asia-Pacific Climate Week (2021, United Nations, REN21)
· Moderator: “Making Renewables Mainstream: Building & Bridging for a Cleaner Future.
The Diplomat: Asia’s Century (2020, The Diplomat, print & online)
· Interview: “Clare Richardson-Barlow on East Asia’s Turn to Renewable Energy”, Public & print interview.
Reshaping Visions for Energy Security in the Indo-Pacific (2020, NBR, remote)
· Workshop Presentation: “Asia Enhancing Development and Growth through Energy.”
International Renewable Energy Conference (2019, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy of Korea, Republic of Korea)
· Conference Presentation: The Renewable Energy Transition: What’s Happening in the Asia Pacific?
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS (select)
Higher Education Academy, UK
Associate Fellow (March 2019-Present)
· Recognition for teaching and learning support in higher education in line with the professional standards framework identified by the Higher Education Academy